Re: Privacy Icon Study

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 16:47:35 -0800
Cc: jeanpierre.lerouzic@orange-ftgroup.com, ktrilli@truste.com, public-privacy@w3.org
To: Mark Lizar <info@smartspecies.com>

On Mar 1, 2011, at 2:04 , Mark Lizar wrote:

> Thanks Jean,
> On 1 Mar 2011, at 08:38, <jeanpierre.lerouzic@orange-ftgroup.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Your remarks are certainly very important on a theoretical point of view, thanks for launching the discussion.
>> If your browser says "do not track me", you can legally sue the company that tracked you on many juridictions. You don't need electronic signatures or trusted third parties for that.
> So you are suggesting that first, me (a web browsing user) is going to realise that I am being tracked (even though I am on a do not track list) then that I am going to call/email a lawyer to sue this tracking website? Is there a possibility this would be successful?  (In any jurisdiction)

Yes, this is not like "Do not call".  If someone violates "Do not call", I know -- I get called.  If someone violates "Do not track" I may not know for ages, if ever -- the tracking was internal to them and the places they made it available to.  It is a worry, I think -- that doesn't make it useless, however.

David Singer