Re: Privacy Icon Study

I have concerns that DNT in its current form does not provide a way for sites to signal back that they will respect the user's no tracking signal. Based on my P3P experience, I am also very concerned about incentives for adoption.

There is some useful information about the DNT proposal at
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/02/what-does-track-do-not-track-mean

I'm working on a paper reflecting on 15 years of efforts to develop privacy icons and machine-readable privacy policies... I turned an excerpt of it into my comments to the FTC, which you can find at
http://www.ftc.gov/os/comments/privacyreportframework/00453-58003.pdf

--
Lorrie Faith Cranor • lorrie@cmu.edu • http://lorrie.cranor.org/
Associate Professor, Computer Science and Engineering & Public Policy