Re: Privacy Icon Study

Thanks Jean,

On 1 Mar 2011, at 08:38, <jeanpierre.lerouzic@orange-ftgroup.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Your remarks are certainly very important on a theoretical point of
> view, thanks for launching the discussion.
>
> If your browser says "do not track me", you can legally sue the
> company that tracked you on many juridictions. You don't need
> electronic signatures or trusted third parties for that.

So you are suggesting that first, me (a web browsing user) is going to
realise that I am being tracked (even though I am on a do not track
list) then that I am going to call/email a lawyer to sue this tracking
website? Is there a possibility this would be successful?  (In any
jurisdiction)

> I'ts an unsolved challenge to detect such violations of privacy but
> current "hard approaches" to privacy such as the one you seems to
> advocate in this post (I don't know your work sorry) are equally
> unable to detect it making them as useless as other easier approaches.
> As for the risks not mitigated by the "do not track me" approach,
> IMO they exist for the 1% of bad guys that do not interact usually
> with the mainstream browser user.
> All what you refer to "user consent, enforcement, trusted third
> parties" is very costly and sometime is very difficult to implement,
> for example how to implement user consent in a Web 2.0 world of
> composed services?

Consent is already implemented. At this moment there is a global
infrastructure of opt-in's and out's (on websites) which is presumably
a major reason why I need to log in and out of web services.  So that
my consent can be harvested so my data can be re-used and tracked.

For enforcement to be possible people need access to audit logs (e.g.
transparency) to see when, how, who, is using their information/
profiles.     Even more people could have control over their own
profiles and provide access to this profile to websites, this way
having access to audit logs wont be a problem.  Then I can call my
lawyer up, show her proof that my information is being illegally used
and tracked.    I agree, a do not track list provides the notice to
websites that consent is not provided for my information to be used
therefore providing a platform for redress.  Although, even without a
do not track list, this has always been illegal activity in many
jurisdictions something that has been observable for many years.
Still no legal action has stopped this. So I dont think a do not track
list is going to help besides further popularising/confusing awareness
of the issue.

> As a practitioner I would prefer a practical solution that works 99%
> of the time instead of a theoretical solution that almost never work
> in real life because of lack of interest and implementation.

  I have yet to provide a theoretical solution.  Yet, Do Not Track and
ICONS are not even theoretical solutions from what I can tell.

Are they?

> It's only my own opinion indeed.

(opinions welcome)