Re: PROPOSED RESOLUTION ON issuedby

+1 from me either.

A further note: this applies to all the POWDER-S properties used in the
attribution (i.e., wdrs:validFrom, wdrs:validUntil, dcterms:issued).
Another consequence is that we cannot use dcterms:issued, since in [1]
it is defined as a subproperty of both dc:date and dcterms:date, and
also its range is defined (RDFS Literal).

This means that we have to define a new property: wdrs:issued

Andrea

Phil Archer wrote:

> On yesterday's telecon [1], it was resolved that
>
> "That the range of wdrs:issuedby should be defined such that its range
> can be foaf:Agent or dcterms:Agent but can also be other (unspecified)
> classes"
>
> It was further agreed that we would stick with treating POWDER-S
> documents as OWL Ontologies (which are disjoint from OWL Things). A
> POWDER-S document therefore typically begins like this:
>
> <owl:Ontology rdf:about="">
>   <wdrs:issuedby
>     rdf:resource="http://authority.example.org/company.rdf#me" />
>   <dcterms:issued>2007-12-14T00:00:00</dcterms:issued>
> </owl:Ontology>
>
> Stasinos made the point that anything that describes an OWL ontology
> (and therefore anything that describes a POWDER-S document) must be an
> OWL Annotation property and not anything else. foaf:maker, for example,
> has a domain of owl:Thing and therefore _cannot_ (legally) be used to
> say who created a POWDER-S doc.
>
> Following yesterday's meeting, Andrea spotted more text in the OWL
> documentation that Stasinos confirmed was entirely relevant [2]. The
> bottom line is that it seems the way forward for POWDER is that we do
> not define a range for wdrs:issuedby. WE _do_ however, want to encourage
> people specifically to use FOAF or DC Terms hence my proposal that the
> line in section 2.1 of the DR doc that defines issuedby [3] be changed to:
>
> "Exactly one issuedby element MUST be included and it MUST use the src
> attribute to point to an RDF resource that describes the entity that
> created the POWDER document. It is  RECOMMENDED that this be done using
> an instance of the Agent class from either the FOAF or Dublin Core
> vocabularies."
>
> Further, that we do not define a range for wdrs:issued
>
> Stas, Andrea - have I reflected the position accurately?
>
> Everyone - do you agree with the proposal?
>
> Phil.
>

> [1] http://www.w3.org/2008/10/06-powder-minutes.html (member only link)
> [2]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-powderwg/2008Oct/0016.html
> (member only link)
> [3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-powder-dr-20080815/#diffCreator

Andrea Perego
Dipartimento di Informatica e Comunicazione
Universita` degli Studi dell'Insubria
Via Mazzini, 5 - 21100 Varese, Italy