PROPOSED RESOLUTION ON issuedby

From: Phil Archer <parcher@fosi.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 15:12:50 +0100
To: Public POWDER <public-powderwg@w3.org>

On yesterday's telecon [1], it was resolved that

"That the range of wdrs:issuedby should be defined such that its range
can be foaf:Agent or dcterms:Agent but can also be other (unspecified)
classes"

It was further agreed that we would stick with treating POWDER-S
documents as OWL Ontologies (which are disjoint from OWL Things). A
POWDER-S document therefore typically begins like this:

<owl:Ontology rdf:about="">
   <wdrs:issuedby
     rdf:resource="http://authority.example.org/company.rdf#me" />
   <dcterms:issued>2007-12-14T00:00:00</dcterms:issued>
</owl:Ontology>

Stasinos made the point that anything that describes an OWL ontology
(and therefore anything that describes a POWDER-S document) must be an
OWL Annotation property and not anything else. foaf:maker, for example,
has a domain of owl:Thing and therefore _cannot_ (legally) be used to
say who created a POWDER-S doc.

Following yesterday's meeting, Andrea spotted more text in the OWL
documentation that Stasinos confirmed was entirely relevant [2]. The
bottom line is that it seems the way forward for POWDER is that we do
not define a range for wdrs:issuedby. WE _do_ however, want to encourage
people specifically to use FOAF or DC Terms hence my proposal that the
line in section 2.1 of the DR doc that defines issuedby [3] be changed to:

"Exactly one issuedby element MUST be included and it MUST use the src
attribute to point to an RDF resource that describes the entity that
created the POWDER document. It is  RECOMMENDED that this be done using
an instance of the Agent class from either the FOAF or Dublin Core
vocabularies."

Further, that we do not define a range for wdrs:issued

Stas, Andrea - have I reflected the position accurately?

Everyone - do you agree with the proposal?

Phil.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2008/10/06-powder-minutes.html (member only link)
[2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-powderwg/2008Oct/0016.html