Re: Fw: Action-1715: figure role and Action 1708

Hi Rich,

Comments inline.

On 2015-09-08 8:25 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> figure
>
>     A perceivable section of content which supports the main document,
>     and should be easily locatable regardless of its position in the
>     layout.

By "should be easily locatable" do you mean "easily navigable"?  Also,
is the "should" normative?  If so, who's responsible?  I suspect it's
the author, in which case, reword to:

"... and authors SHOULD provide a way for users to easily navigate to
the figure, regardless of its position in the layout."

>     A figure may contain a graphical document, an image, or other
>     content such as code snippets or example text.

Is the "may" normative?  If so, use "MAY"; otherwise, change to "might".

>     A figure should be referenced from the main text but does not need
>     to be displayed directly where it is referenced.

"Authors SHOULD  provide a reference to the figure from the main text,
but the figure need not be displayed at the same location as the
referencing element."

Also, what is the type of reference?  An IDREF?  A URI?  A selector?
All of the above?  :-)

>     A figure MAY have an associate label or caption, or an associated
>     description.

Typo:  associateD label.  Also, I'm tempted to change the sense of the
second "or" to "and/or":

"A figure MAY have an associated label or caption, or an associated
description, or both."

>     _
>     __Assistive technologies_
>     <http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/aria.html#dfn-assistive-technologies>/SHOULD/ enable
>     users to quickly navigate to figures. Mainstream _user agents_
>     <http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/aria.html#dfn-user-agent>/MAY/ enable
>     users to quickly navigate to figures.

I'm not sure what is meant by "Mainstream user agents" since
"mainstream" is not defined anywhere.  The term "user agents" is
defined, and it's sufficient without the "mainstream" qualifier:

"'User agents' MAY enable users to quickly navigate to figures."

> The figure role would be a subclass of role section.
>
> Name From: Author
> Accessible Name Required: False

Hope that's useful.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Array(16).join("wat" - 1) + " Batman!"'
            - G. Bernhardt -