Re: Fw: Action-1715: figure role and Action 1708

Rich Schwerdtfeger

Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu> wrote on 09/09/2015 09:40:28 AM:

> From: Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>
> To: Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, WAI Protocols & Formats
> <public-pfwg@w3.org>
> Cc: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
> Date: 09/09/2015 09:40 AM
> Subject: Re: Fw: Action-1715: figure role and Action 1708
>
> Hi Rich,
>
> Comments inline.
>
> On 2015-09-08 8:25 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> > figure
> >
> >     A perceivable section of content which supports the main document,
> >     and should be easily locatable regardless of its position in the
> >     layout.
> >

> By "should be easily locatable" do you mean "easily navigable"?  Also,
> is the "should" normative?  If so, who's responsible?  I suspect it's
> the author, in which case, reword to:

This means that I should easily recognize this visually as a figure in the
document. It needs to be perceivable. This is meant as
guidance to authors like we do for landmarks.

> "... and authors SHOULD provide a way for users to easily navigate to
> the figure, regardless of its position in the layout."

yes. You should be able to navigate to it with the keyboard.

> >     A figure may contain a graphical document, an image, or other
> >     content such as code snippets or example text.
> >

> Is the "may" normative?  If so, use "MAY"; otherwise, change to "might".

I think the issue here is that it can contain all types of content an not
just presentational graphics images. Our convention for normative
is to capitalize it. I am OK with it being a might.

> >     A figure should be referenced from the main text but does not need
> >     to be displayed directly where it is referenced.
> >

> "Authors SHOULD  provide a reference to the figure from the main text,
> but the figure need not be displayed at the same location as the
> referencing element."

That works.

> Also, what is the type of reference?  An IDREF?  A URI?  A selector?
> All of the above?  :-)

All of the above. Do you think we need to enumerate them with a such as a
programmatic link, etc.?

> >     A figure MAY have an associate label or caption, or an associated
> >     description.
> >

> Typo:  associateD label.  Also, I'm tempted to change the sense of the
> second "or" to "and/or":

OK. Thank you for the feedback and I will send out an update based on your
feedback and that from Steve.

Best,
Rich