Fw: Action-1715: figure role and Action 1708

I am reading the minutes of the September 3, 2015 ARIA Caucus and it
indicated that I had not created proposed text for the Figure Role (I am
re-forwarding the email I had sent to the list). I did in fact do this but
I am waiting to discuss it with Steve Faulkner who was out on vacation.
Also, reading the meeting minutes I want to tell you that it the SVG
accessibility task force did not state that the content within a Figure had
to be interactive. It may however. There was quite a bit of discussion on
the figure role.

I did propose draft text for the figure role but I am waiting to discuss
this we Steve. Steve thought that he would also need a figcaption role and
I wanted to discuss that with him. The proposal is not formal until I have
had a chance to discuss it with Steve. We need to ensure that the role
satisfies use cases for both HTML and SVG.

Unlike role="img" the descendants of figure *cannot* be assumed to be
presentational.

I hope I will be able to speak with Steve before Thursday's meeting. This
week is quite full.

Cheers,

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger