RE: aria-level a required property for role="heading" or a supported property with an RFC SHOULD for authors

John, your response is restating what was already discussed in the minutes.
We agreed to not do that. The demonstrable cases occurred because people
were trying to keep a consistent heading level for an entire rich web
application when applets from different parties were pulled in and you had
to guess to re-write over it.  If you effectively used landmarks I don't
see that being an issue.

All IBM content must reside within a landmark. We found that taking this
approach dramatically increased the usability of all IBM RIAs. It allows
you to effectively find all your content as nothing is orphaned and it
restricts heading navigation to the context to which they were originally
designed. Freedom Scientific tells end users to start your navigation with
landmarks incidentally. Using this approach you pull up a table of contents
(landmark navigation) and you are off to the races. You can skip content
you don't care about.

We have found that making your page depend solely on heading navigation is
a non-starter and makes the headings issue that James Nurthen talked about
a very real problem which would mandate making it a SHOULD because frankly
you just don't know what level to give it at times as you are trying to
absorb an app, with heading navigation designed autonomously, in the middle
of a page that was also built autonomously.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger