Re: aria-level a required property for role="heading" or a supported property with an RFC SHOULD for authors

On 2015-06-18 5:13 PM, James Craig wrote:
> VoiceOver used to speak "Heading Level 0, text content" but we fixed that a few years ago. It now speaks "Heading, text content"
Thanks James.

But, to put a fine point on it, that's not what I asked.  I asked what
Safari exposes for heading level in that case, not how VO presents it.

I loaded Léonie's test document into Safari, FF, and Chrome.  For the
two instances with role="heading" and no aria-level, Safari and Chrome
both expose the level as zero.  FF exposes nothing for the level, i.e.
there is no level information at all,

These are special values for level, since level is 1-based.  They
effectively mean, "level information is unavailable" (surprisingly
accurate, after all).

Given what Léonie reported, it appears that screen readers are
interpreting the situation as they see fit and there is no single common
practice among JAWS, NVDA, and VO.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Array(16).join("wat" - 1) + " Batman!"'
            - G. Bernhardt -