Re: the owl.owl file

Hi Michael,

I think it is only good to refer back to the actual specification.
Though perhaps 'corresponds' should be 'based on' to subtly indicate
the primacy of the actual specification over the owl.owl file.

Rinke

On 16 okt 2009, at 11:15, Michael Schneider wrote:

> Hi!
>
> This just came to mind: There has recently been discussion [1] about
> owl.owl. If I correctly understand the original poster, he was
> wondering why
> this ontology isn't represented in the OWL 2 documents. You may
> remember
> that owl.owl /was/ represented in OWL 1 as an (non-normative)
> appendix in
> the OWL Reference [2].
>
> Anyway, the essential content (excluding annotations) of the new
> owl.owl
> file happens to be represented (or "backed") in our document suite
> as well,
> although in a very non-obvious way by means of two tables on
> "axiomatic
> triples" in the RDF-Based Semantics [3a,3b] (btw, that's again a
> non-normative appendix). This alignment was what I was working on
> and which
> took me most of the time when I re-designed owl.owl at that time. But
> without having a note on this alignment somewhere it will, at best,
> look
> like an accidental coincidence, if anyone will notice it at all.
>
> So I wonder whether we should make this connection explicit by
> adding text
> like the following to the comment in the ontology header of owl.owl:
>
> 	The content of this ontology corresponds to Tables 6.1 and 6.2
>      in Section 6.4 of the OWL 2 RDF-Based Semantics specification
> 	at http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-rdf-based-semantics/.
> 	Note that those tables do not include the different annotations
> 	(labels, comments and rdfs:isDefinedBy links) used in this file.
>
> Any comments (beyond the above :))?
>
> Cheers,
> Michael
>
> [1]
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-dev/2009OctDec/0006.html
> >
> [2] <http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#appB>
> [3a]
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-rdf-based-semantics/#table-axiomatic-classes
> >
> [3b]
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-rdf-based-semantics/#table-axiomatic-properties

---
Dr Rinke Hoekstra

AI Department         |   Leibniz Center for Law
Faculty of Sciences   |   Faculty of Law
Vrije Universiteit    |   Universiteit van Amsterdam
De Boelelaan 1081a    |   Kloveniersburgwal 48
1081 HV Amsterdam     |   1012 CX  Amsterdam
+31-(0)20-5987752     |   +31-(0)20-5253499
hoekstra@few.vu.nl    |   hoekstra@uva.nl

Homepage: http://www.few.vu.nl/~hoekstra