Re: question on "forest-like anonymous individuals" restriction of OWL 2 DL

I think that the confusion arises from the fact that the forest in
question is not defined by the ontology assertions. The point is that
in order for the ontology to be in OWL 2 DL it must be possible to
arrange the anonymous individuals in a forest such that the three
conditions (which *do* refer to ontology assertions) are satisfied.
In the case of the second example, it is easy to see that there can
be no such forest satisfying both the first and second conditions,
namely:

"for each assertion in Ax of the form ObjectPropertyAssertion( OPE
_:x _:y ), either _:x is a child of _:y or _:y is a child of _:x in F"

and

"for each pair of anonymous individuals _:x and _:y such that _:y is
a child of _:x in F, the set Ax contains at most one assertion of the
form ObjectPropertyAssertion( OPE _:x _:y ) or ObjectPropertyAssertion
( OPE _:y _:x )".

In fact the purpose of adding the second example was to emphasise
that not only cycles, but any non-tree like arrangement of anonymous
individuals is illegal in OWL 2 DL.

Regards,
Ian

On 27 Jun 2009, at 01:01, Boris Motik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> No, not really: since OWL 2 has inverse roles, the actual
> directionality of the
> property assertions doesn't matter. That is, the role assertion
>
> ObjectPropertyAssertion( a:hasDaughter _:b1 _:b2 )
>
> is equivalent to
>
> ObjectPropertyAssertion( InverseObjectProperty(a:hasDaughter) _:b2
> _:b1 )
>
> Now if the latter is circular, the former should be circular as
> well, given that
> the two assertions are semantically equivalent.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Boris

>>> title=Syntax&diff=24654&oldid=