Requirement for ontology header

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 23:49:12 -0400
To: OWL Working Group WG <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

We had, at some point discussed the situation where one might import
a document not explicitly purposed for OWL, but which could still be
valid OWL in combinaton with other axioms - for instance a RDF/XML
document consisting solely of PropertyAssertions.

However, the RDF Mapping document currently precludes this:

> First, patterns from Table 3 are matched to G in order to extract
> the ontology header  the ontology URI and the set of URIs of the
> imported ontologies. If no such pattern can be matched in G, or if
> the pattern can be matched to G in more than one way, the graph G
> is rejected as invalid.

I suggest we relax this to:

> First, patterns from Table 3 are matched to G in order to extract
> the ontology header  the ontology URI and the set of URIs of the
> imported ontologies. If the pattern can be matched to G in more
> than one way, the graph G is rejected as invalid.

and have the case where there is no match yield the ontology header
Ontology().

I don't know if the matching rules should be adjusted to consider
malformed headers as invalid.

-Alan