Re: Requirement for ontology header

Hi,

I like the idea of being able to do this (very sensible on the
semantic web), but doesn't this interact with the imports section as
well? Unless of course by 'import' you meant 'load'...

An RDF/XML file containing only PropertyAssertions does not contain an
OntologyURI or VersionURI (as there is no owl:Ontology element), so it
cannot be imported from another ontology.

-Rinke

PS Trackbot, this is related to ISSUE-21

On 28 mei 2008, at 05:49, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> We had, at some point discussed the situation where one might import
> a document not explicitly purposed for OWL, but which could still be
> valid OWL in combinaton with other axioms - for instance a RDF/XML
> document consisting solely of PropertyAssertions.
>
> However, the RDF Mapping document currently precludes this:
>
>> First, patterns from Table 3 are matched to G in order to extract
>> the ontology header — the ontology URI and the set of URIs of the
>> imported ontologies. If no such pattern can be matched in G, or if
>> the pattern can be matched to G in more than one way, the graph G
>> is rejected as invalid.
>>

> I suggest we relax this to:
>

>> First, patterns from Table 3 are matched to G in order to extract
>> the ontology header — the ontology URI and the set of URIs of the
>> imported ontologies. If the pattern can be matched to G in more
>> than one way, the graph G is rejected as invalid.
>
> and have the case where there is no match yield the ontology header
> Ontology().
>
> I don't know if the matching rules should be adjusted to consider
> malformed headers as invalid.
>

> -Alan

Drs. Rinke Hoekstra

Email: hoekstra@uva.nl    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke

Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands