Re: ISSUE-124 (datarange complement): The complement of a datarange is defined relative to the whole data domain

From: Evan Wallace <ewallace@cme.nist.gov>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 12:07:09 -0400
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
CC: OWL Working Group WG <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> Wouldn't the sugar be more effectively placed on ComplementOf.
> Specifically, something like:
>
> ComplementOfWithinDatatype(DatatypeRestriction( xsd:decimal
> minInclusive 35 maxExclusive 42))

Not in my view.  We should reuse patterns in the language where
appropriate and this is a place where
I believe its appropriate.  Hence my previous suggestion.

With respect to the question of whether *any* change is needed: I don't
follow Boris' argument that it is
not needed and would like to have some time to look over the relevant
parts of the specs before we
summarily close the issue (i.e. let's not close it today).  I had seen
this same issue crop up in a pre-WG
OWL 1.1 example, and it looked wrong then (because it used complementOf,
but appeared to mean your
ComplementOfWithinDatatype).  A little more time should improve my
understanding of this issue, one
way or another.

-Evan