Re: ISSUE-126 (Revisit Datatypes): The list of normative datatypes should be revisited

On Jul 1, 2008, at 7:22 AM, Boris Motik wrote:

> Hello Alan,
>
> I agree with most of your observations, with the two differences.
>
> First, we might need rational constants, mainly because of
> division: if you divide 1 and 3, you get a number whose
> representation requires an infinite number of digits. It is true
> that division is not yet supported in OWL 2; however, organizing
> the datatype system such that we can easily support such extensions
> is really beneficial. Even if we don’t support any such extensions
> in the core specification, we make it much easier for people to
> support them if they want to.

I am mixed on this, mostly because it seems to be speculative design.
My preference would be to have this be a separate issue.

> Second, I am not sure about the comment regarding preprocessing.
> The unionOf({"1"^^xsd:float}, {"1"^^xsd:int}) class expression is a
> valid class expression. It is true that a datatype reasoner needs
> to determine at one point that the two constants are the same, but
> this can be done during reasoning.

OK. I wasn't sure if it would be easier to do it up front.

> Note that two constants can be different even though they denote
> the same value. A constant is a pair consisting of a lexical
> representation and a datatype URI; hence, two constants are equal
> if their lexical representation and the datatype URIs are the same,
> and this is independent from the question whether these constants
> denote the same data value. Thus, "1"^^xsd:float and "1"^^xsd:int
> are different constants, but they denote the same data value and
> everything is fine.

FWIW, I think the use of the term "constant" here is confusing. I
don't see any reason to not stick with talking about literals (which
are taken from the lexical space) and values, which are taken from
the value space.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-concepts-20040210/#section-Literal-
Equality