RE: ISSUE-126 (Revisit Datatypes): A proposal for resolution

Hello,

I was not aware of (http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-xsch-datatypes/); however, I believe that the recommendation in Section 3.2 is simply
wrong. The XML Schema specification (http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/) defines the value spaces of datatypes in the following way:

- For xsd:integer: The value space of integer is the infinite set { ...,-2,-1,0,1,2,... }.

- For xsd:decimal: The value space of decimal is the set of numbers that can be obtained by multiplying an integer by a non-positive
power of ten, i.e., expressible as i x 10^-n where i and n are integers and n >= 0.

- For xsd:float: The basic value space of double consists of the values m x 2^e, where m is an integer whose absolute value is less
than 2^53, and e is an integer between -1075 and 970, inclusive.

Given these definitions, the value spaces of all these datatypes are just numbers, not pairs of the form (number,type). Therefore,
if we base the datatype system of OWL 2 on XML Schema, we have no other choice but to say that the value spaces are overlapping.

Personally, I find this interpretation to be the only intuitive answer. After all, "40"^^xsd:integer and "40"^^xsd:float denote the
one and the same number; hence, there should be no semantic difference between the two. If we say that these are not the same
numbers, we are introducing a totally artificial distinction between the integer 40 and the floating number 40, which is not
grounded in mathematics in any way. Thus, I cannot a reason why (1) should not entail (2).

(1) eg:JeremyCarroll eg:ageInYears "40"^^xsd:integer .
(2) eg:JeremyCarroll eg:ageInYears "40"^^xsd:float .

In fact, I could see such behavior as being really counterintuitive. Consider, for example, the following ontology:

(3) PropertyRange( a:weight xsd:decimal )
(4) PropertyAssertion( a:weight a:Bob "70"^^xsd:integer )

If we take the view that xsd:decimal and xsd:integer are disjoint, then the above ontology is inconsistent: (3) restricts the range
of a:weight to decimal numbers, but (4) uses an integer. I find this totally confusing: integers ARE decimal numbers!

Things get even worse in the case of xsd:integer and xsd:int. Imagine the following ontology:

(5) PropertyRange( a:weight xsd:integer )
(6) PropertyAssertion( a:weight a:Bob "70"^^xsd:int )

Again, this ontology is inconsistent because of the strange typing condition on the property, and this can be really confusing for
users. Although not related to numbers, there are similar examples in the string domain. For example, xsd:NMToken is just a
particular type of strings. The figure in Section 3 of (http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/) strongly reflects this intuition:
xsd:NMToken has been made subordinate to xsd:string.

One final point is related to facets. The xsd:int is really nothing else than xsd:integer restricted to a particular subset of
integers. Thus, xsd:int is in fact equivalent to

(7) DatatypeRestriction( xsd:integer
         minInclusive "-2147483648"^^xsd:int
         maxInclusive "2147483647"^^xsd:int )

In fact, this is precisely how XML Schema defines xsd:int. But then, treating the constant "70"^^xsd:int as not being an instance of
xsd:integer is really confusing.

On the practical side, I can't see how overlapping value spaces would be more difficult to implement than if they were not
overlapping. In my ISWC paper I've presented an algorithm that deals with this issue, and I really can't see a possible source of
implementation difficulty.

To summarize, making value spaces of built-in datatypes non-overlapping seems unjustifiable from an intuitive, mathematical, and XML
Schema point of view. In fact, (http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-xsch-datatypes/) presents no evidence at all to why treating basic
datatypes as being disjoint should be more appropriate, and the choice seems rather arbitrary. In light of OWL 2, we should
therefore do the following:

- We should accept that this was a source of confusion in OWL 1. To correct this problem in OWL 2, we should do the right thing and
include an explicit description of the values spaces of all datatypes. In doing so, we should follow XML Schema as much as possible.

- We should say that (http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-xsch-datatypes/) is an incorrect interpretation of the OWL 1 specification. After
all, this document was nonnormative, so this may be acceptable.

Regards,

	Boris