Re: Question on special class description

Hi Lennart,

I can only see two ways, and they lead out of OWL-DL, but perhaps
someone else here has a better idea?

(1) If you use Boolean operators on roles, you can define a new role
hasChildButDoesNotLoveIt to be "hasChild and not loves". You can then
define the desired class as GoodParent = hasChildButDoesNotLoveIt only
Nothing.

(2) If you define a new property p to be a superproperty of the chain
"hasChild o inv(loves)", then you can define a GoodParent to be
equivalent to not p some Self. Unfortunately, only simple object
property expressions are allowed in hasSelf restrictions and p is
composite due to the first statement.

I suppose this doesn't really help ... :-S

Cheers

Thomas

On 23 Feb 2010, at 15:35, Lennart Bierkandt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am developing an ontology for a linguistic typological database,
> where I need to describe a class of the form:
> { x | ∀y( r1(x,y) -> r2(x,y) ) }
> As explaining the real use of this would be to complicated, imagine
> a class denoting e.g. "people who love (r2: loves) all their
> children (r1: hasChild) (or haven't any)".
>
> In prose it doesn't seem to be too complex, but I didn't find a way
> to do it..
> CAN this be expressed in OWL-DL? and if, how? (and if not, in OWL-
> FULL?)
>
> Kind regards,
> Lennart Bierkandt

Tampa (n.)
   The sound of a rubber eraser coming to rest after dropping off a desk
   in a very quiet room.