Implementations of LCS for OWL

From: Chris Mungall <cjm@berkeleybop.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 20:18:01 -0700
To: Owl Dev <public-owl-dev@w3.org>
Cc: sonic@tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de
I'm looking for efficient implementations of the LCS (least common
subsumer) function for OWL. The function take two classes or class
expressions C, D and return the minimal class or class expression that
subsumes both. Obviously this excludes UnionOf constructs used in the
results. Intersection and existential restrictions would be fine.

I see there's a vast literature on this going back to the earliest
days of DL systems, but surprisingly little in the way of
implementations.

The only implementation I'm aware of is SONIC:

	http://wwwtcs.inf.tu-dresden.de/~sonic/

But this has two drawbacks from my perspective:

* It's not open source, and requires non-open source tools
* It looks like it's not maintained (the installation instructions say
that OilEd is required)

Ideally the implementation would be open source and well-integrated
with current tools (e.g. works with the OWLAPI and/or OWLlink). I'd be
willing to work a little on the plumbing, but not for closed source
tools.