Re: Implementations of LCS for OWL

Chris

Can you define your use case a bit more clearly?

Are you trying to find the simplest expression for a defined class
that would be guaranteed to subsume both C and D (excluding simply C
or D)?
If so is the interest in finding the subsumer or in the structure of
the expressions in the definition

Are you intrested only in named classes?

e.g. C=B & r some Q
        D=B & r some S

A = B & r some (Q or S)

or do you care about the named subsumers of Q and S.

(I won't have a solution, but I am curious as to what the problem is?)

Or there's the least common named subsumer in the inferred
classification lattice
using lattice theoretical tools, but I presume that is not what you
are asking or
you wouldn't be asking it.

Regards

Alan

On 28 Apr 2010, at 04:18, Chris Mungall wrote:

> I'm looking for efficient implementations of the LCS (least common
> subsumer) function for OWL. The function take two classes or class
> expressions C, D and return the minimal class or class expression
> that subsumes both. Obviously this excludes UnionOf constructs used
> in the results. Intersection and existential restrictions would be
> fine.
>
> I see there's a vast literature on this going back to the earliest
> days of DL systems, but surprisingly little in the way of
> implementations.
>
> The only implementation I'm aware of is SONIC:
>
> 	http://wwwtcs.inf.tu-dresden.de/~sonic/
>
> But this has two drawbacks from my perspective:
>
> * It's not open source, and requires non-open source tools
> * It looks like it's not maintained (the installation instructions
> say that OilEd is required)
>
> Ideally the implementation would be open source and well-integrated
> with current tools (e.g. works with the OWLAPI and/or OWLlink). I'd
> be willing to work a little on the plumbing, but not for closed
> source tools.

-----------------------
Alan Rector
Professor of Medical Informatics