Re: UML-OWL Generator, A product to convert UML into OWL

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 15:29:24 +0100
Cc: public-owl-dev@w3.org
To: Elisa Kendall <ekendall@sandsoft.com>
Elisa,

Just for my curiosity, I was wondering if you would mind commenting on:
	http://www.google.com/patents?id=NR6XAAAAEBAJ
It seems like it would be pretty easy to infringe upon. Particularly
claim 3:
"""3. A method for creating an ontology in UML, the method including:

accepting as input an ontology name and one or more ontology elements,
each ontology element corresponding to at least one of a term,
concept, and relationship between concepts, the ontology elements
forming a detailed specification of the ontology;

generating a logically equivalent ontology with UML model elements
based on a UML profile grounded in a foundation ontology; and

presenting the resulting ontology to a user in a UML environment."""

That also seems to fall on prior art (at the very least, the second
and third parts seem to fall with ICOM).

How does this patent relate to the ODM work? (OMG has a royalty-free/
RAND requirement on IP.)