Re: UML-OWL Generator, A product to convert UML into OWL

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 15:23:29 +0100
Cc: Mitch Kokar <mkokar@vistology.com>, Elisa Kendall <ekendall@sandsoft.com>, UML-OWL Gen <info@umlowlgen.com>, public-owl-dev@w3.org
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
If we're gathering links:

http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=description+logic+uml&btnG=Search
http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=franconi+ICOM&btnG=Search&hl=en
http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=uml+owl&btnG=Search&hl=en

None of this, of course, shows that the UML-OWL one isn't novel in
some sense. Who knows?

Personally, I wouldn't be thrilled with a patent for a relatively
trivial variant. But would I be happier with a patent on a variant
that captured the semantics in a substantially better way? Can you
patent a mapping? (That just seems like a mathematical function...)