Re: bags of axioms

From: Matthew Pocock <matthew.pocock@ncl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 10:43:50 +0000
To: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Cc: public-owl-dev@w3.org

On Thursday 01 November 2007, Bijan Parsia wrote:
> Matthew,
>
> Sorry a bit swamped, but two questions:
>
> 	1) How much would be solved by lifting the URI restriction on the
> ontology element? I think there's already an issue about that.

That would remove the symptom, and modulo philosophers getting ideas about
what Ontology is meant to represent (other than a bag of axioms), would solve
the problem.

> 	2) A while back, I played around with XPointer extensions that could
> encode SPARQL like queries (or DIG like queries). Esp. with a
> reliably fixed source document, this could give you a canonical URI
> for the subset. A simple version would be to add IDs to all your
> axioms and use normalish XPointer.

Axioms with IDs? Now there's a thought :)

Dropping the URI requirement from Ontology, and the toolkits following suit
would work for me.

Matthew