Re: Ontology numbers

From: tim finin <finin@cs.umbc.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:00:07 -0400
To: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
CC: public-owl-dev@w3.org

Bijan Parsia wrote:
> I'm wondering if there's anything similar for F-Logic, and for logic
> programming in general. It's clear that various things *could* be
> I suspect it's mostly that without a standard (e.g., a media type) and
> the right publicity, examples aren't that obvious. And I clearly don't
> know the right google keywords. So I would appreciate some pointers if
> anyone has them.

I suspect that the vast majority of logic programming programs
are simply not Web accessible.

The prime use case for RDF/OWL involves putting ontologies and
data on the web.  Moreover, the web documents are heavily
interlinked, so it's easy to discover them.

No so for LP, which uses a traditional programming paradigm
where programs are mostly accessible on local filesystems.
The handful of Prolog programs I've put on the Web have been
examples developed for classes.  Moreover, I've had to use
non-standard extensions for these since our department's Web
server assumes the .pl extension is Perl.

Tim

--
  Tim Finin, Computer Science & Electrical Engineering, Univ of Maryland
  Baltimore County, 1000 Hilltop, Baltimore MD 21250.  finin@cs.umbc.edu