[LC response] To Roman Kontchakov & Michael Zakharyaschev- LC comment on OWL 2 QL

From: Uli Sattler <sattler@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:26:55 +0000
To: Michael Zakharyaschev <michael@dcs.bbk.ac.uk>, Roman Kontchakov <roman@dcs.bbk.ac.uk>
Cc: public-owl-comments@w3.org
Dear Roman and Michael,

Thank you for your comment
      <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-comments/2009Jan/0019.html

on the OWL 2 Web Ontology Language last call drafts.

Your comment is closely related to the one by Maurizio (see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-comments/2009Jan/0014.html)
  and Ivan (see http://www.w3.org/mid/49881F19.7040209@w3.org).

The working group has decided to implement the editorial changes and
will correct the typos, thanks for pointing them out. We have also
decided to add to OWL 2 QL reflexive, irreflexive, & asymmetric
property axioms. Moreover, we have fixed the inaccuracies in the
complexity table, following your suggestions and discussions with
Maurizio: for data complexity, we have added that OWL 2 QL is in AC_0,
i.e., queries are first order rewritable and that the taxonomic
complexity is NLogSpace-complete.

Finally, we have decided *not* to add sameAs to OWL 2 QL, but to add a
paragraph that explains that, if one wants to handle ontologies that
are OWL 2 QL plus sameAs, then one can use a preprocessing step that
materializes the sameAs relation and uses it in query answering
procedures to simulate individual equality reasoning (see http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Profiles#Feature_Overview_2)
.

Please acknowledge receipt of this email to <mailto:public-owl-comments@w3.org
 > (replying to this email should suffice). In your acknowledgment
please let us know whether or not you are satisfied with the working
group's response to your comment.

Regards,
Uli Sattler
on behalf of the W3C OWL Working Group