non-disjoint value spaces for numeric datatypes

From: Chris Welty <cawelty@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:13:13 -0500
To: public-owl-comments@w3.org

The RIF WG's primary mission is interchange, and interoperability between RIF
and OWL is both an internal goal as well as, we believe, a goal of the semantic
web community in general.  We believe that the semantic web standards should
settle on a common interpretation of XML Schema datatypes.

We have reviewed the OWL definitions for the XML schema datatypes and have found
them acceptable for RIF with one exception:  we cannot work with the
redefinition of xsd numeric datatypes with overlapping (non-disjoint) value
spaces.  While we all agreed the idea of e.g. "1.0"^^xsd:double and
"1"^^xsd:decimal being the same entity makes sense, RIF adds a set of builtin
functions and predicates to its chosen xsd's and these are based on a wide
implementation base that assume disjointness of xsd value spaces.  Breaking
these implementations would negatively impact interchange and significantly
raise the "barrier to entry".

-RIF WG