Re: New Draft comments: Specific Resources

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 10:49:08 +0100
CC: public-openannotation <public-openannotation@w3.org>
Hi Rob,

> A few specific questions:
>
>> 9. Text normalization
>> 3.2.2.1 (Text Position selectors) says the text should be normalized before
>> counting characters. Fine, but:
>> - is it a SHOULD?
>> - if yes, could there be a link that tells implementers what kind of
>> normalization it is?
>
> It's really a MUST, or you can't do string comparison.
>
> And... is this the right normalization to link to?
>      http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml11-20040204/#dt-fullnorm
> As referenced from:
>      http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/core.html#ID-5DFED1F0
>
> In essence, the right answer is "whatever the browser does before you
> select the text". Which may be slightly different in different
> products and implementations, of course :(

Yes, it's our fate I'm afraid. But giving a couple of indications would help. As such it reads as if implementers had to figure out and implement by themselves.
I can't tell about the links, I'm not an expert on this. But as long as an example is given, that others in the group are comfortable with, I'm happy.

>> 10. Fig 3.3.2
>> A specific header request would be really helpful, instead of "headers1".
>
> This goes against the abstract examples, but so do the other
> Selectors. (integer1 would be worse!)

Indeed. I can't imagine Figure 3.2.2.1 and Figure 3.2.2.2 with abstract examples!

>> 12. Levels of Scopes
>> The current proposal where oa:hasScope is attached to specific resources
>> makes much sense. Cases where there are multiple specific resources and/or
>> scopes involved in an annotation come to mind...
>
> Multiple specific resources with different scopes, but the same source resource?

Well, not only. I guess you could have, say, multiple specific targets with different sources, and each having their own scope. Perhaps you don't need to turn to such an extreme case. Anything that hints about serious cases (that motivate the attachment of scope to specific bodies and targets) would fit.

Antoine