Re: Connecting multiple fragment selectors with individual bodies

Hi Robert,

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>wrote:

> To throw in my 2c...
>
> I think there's a conceptual difference between linking separate
> annotations and grouping them together as a single intellectual
> entity.  If the annotations should always be transferred and used
> together then it seems that the group should have an identity of its
> own, rather than just links between individuals.
>
> Attached is a diagram with a CompositeAnnotation (which could be a
> subClass of rdf:Bag or ore:Aggregation) that groups together two other
> annotations, a tag and a comment, that should be kept together.  It's
> also available at
> http://www.openannotation.org/spec/proposals/composite_annotation.png

The thinking behind this approach:

> *  In a group of (say) 5 annotations rather than just 2, you could
> need 20 relationships (each of the five should link to all of the
> others) to ensure they were all tied together.  This seems clumsy, to
> say the least

I like this composite idea, but it works only if the relations between any
pair of these (say) 5 annotations is the same, am I right? In that case,
and trying to avoid those 20 relationships, I guess you would omit the
x:rel between annotations, so, how do you make explicit the relationship
that all of them share? Would it be a property related to the composite?

Cheers,

Leyla

*  The group gets an identity, and thus can be referred to.