Re: Connecting multiple fragment selectors with individual bodies

Hi Paolo,

you depicted almost everthing right. Just a few exceptions, which I did
not have explained exactly.

Our domain specific annotation type is not specified within the general
comment of the "meta" annotation. Therefore, one or more rdf:type
properties of the pattern urn:guid:bgbm:annosys:typeAnnotationType
(where AnnotationType shall represent the real type name) will be added
to the obligatory openannotation:core:Annotation rdf:type property
outlining the openannotation standard. For consistency, all these
rdf:type properties will be included in both the "meta"-annotation and
the "sub" annotations.

The general comment is just an option for the user, to leave a comment
regarding the source XML documents, e.g. if he is not competent or
willing to alter values or enter comments to specific XML elements (Of
course, I am developing a user interface for that, abstracting from all
this XML stuff). But we aim to use the format also for exchange purposes
later on.

Maybe, I should briefly describe our initial picture of the data
structure before I started to implement it with OA  in order to get a
clearer view on what I intend to implement. The basic idea is, to enable
users to annotate a domain specific XML document. So, an annotation in
our view should collect some meta data like annotator, date and the
source XML document being annotated. Then, the user should be enabled to
select an specific annotation type, further indicating the kind of
annotation he wants to create. Also, the user shall be enabled to enter
new values and/or leave comments to any (expert users) or a predefined
set of data elements (common users) in the source documents. Finally, an
annotation shall be produces, which consists of the collected meta data
and the collection of annotated elements. That's, what I am trying to
express in OA.

I always felt that using hasSemanticTag may not be the intended means to
express the binding between the meta annotation data, and the annotation
elements. But alternatively, just referring to the source document as a
whole, and then "inventing" a list of XPath expressions with new values
and comments and implement this as a blob object in the annotation body,
did not appear not better to me. The latter also opens the question, why
they introduced such a powerful fragment selector mechanism for targets,
but did not offer the possibility to relate individual bodies to them ?
In order to fastly achieve to a working prototype implementation, I
decided to start by using that simple hasSementagTag clamp mechanism and
to report my problem to this mailing list for discussion and to adopt to
a final solution later. As already mentioned, I am wondering, that other
XML related applications of OA do not share the same or similar problems ?

Regarding the usage of dctypes:Dataset in my target body resources, I
interpreted the standard description as to indicate a general type and a
format (mime-type) describing the general contents of the related target
or body. The closest type matching a target XML document I found was
Dataset with format application/xml, and I applied the same pattern to
my application specific body implementation. But may be, I got something
wrong or there are other type/format combination much closer to what I
wanted to express ?

best regards
Lutz