Re: Next Ontolex Meeting, tomorrow, Feb 22, 12:00

Hi, tomorrow I have a flight at due time (last minute change), then regrets.
Concerning SKOS and Ontolex, I wanted to suggest some kind of vocabualry alignment to SKOS-XL, which is definitely useful, as well a more strict commitment to the mapping vocabulary of SKOS, in absence of anything better.
Concerning the first, subclassing is a good idea, since SKOS is substantially ignorant (=neutral) on what kind of concepts/expressions it commits to.
Concerning the second, we might either reuse the mapping relations directly, or subpropertying new ones, which might catch more nuances in linguistic mappings.
However, there is an additional requirement that I forgot to mention, i.e. the need to represent confidence for a mapping. The patterns here include at least:

1) annotating the relation with a confidence value (via RDF reification or OWL axiom annotation)
2) creating a Mapping class with appropriate relations to mapped entities, confidence, and eventually provenance, algorithm if any, etc.

The first pattern enables to reuse SKOS-based triples by annotating them.
The second has been formalized in an ad-hoc vocabulary by François Scharffe and Jerome Euzenat for the AlignmentAPI in the NeOn project. Now it has evolved as EDOAL [1], and is quite a rich language, which is optimized for ontology matching data. However, its edoal:Cell element has the features that I'm describing. I suggest to reuse it, or at least to align to it.

Ciao
Aldo

[1] http://alignapi.gforge.inria.fr/format.html