Sorting squares by difficulty/advancedness

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:18:57 +0200
To: public-mwts <public-mwts@w3.org>

Hi,

My understanding is the current order in the Web Compatibility Test [1]
is more or less random, mostly derived from the order in which the tests
were added/replaced.

I'm thinking we could make the order a bit more significant, and I'm
thus proposing that we order the squares roughly in order of difficulty
or "advancedness" of the tested technology.

Typically, the first row would have only well-established (but poorly
implemented technologies; I would put in there: CSS2 min-width, gzip,
PNG and HTTPS.

The second row would have current technologies: SVG (static),
XMLHTTPRequest, CSS Media Queries, and XHTML.

The third row would group the technologies that have good potential for
tomorrow: SVG animation, canvas, contenteditable, and CSS3 selectors.

That way, the test would highlight more obviously if the tested browser
is failing on the most basic stuff, or only on fairly advanced
technologies.

What do you think?

Dom

1. http://dev.w3.org/2008/mobile-test/test.html