Re: Determining MW4D Core Values

From: joe michiels <jmichiels@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:11:32 -0700
To: public-mw4d@w3.org
Cc: ken.banks@kiwanja.net
Ken (and all),
Long time reader first time writer. I've been catching up on the previous
minutes and hope to join this monday's call. In the meantime I have this
general feedback on the framework document. Please excuse me if I restate
feedback that's previously been discussed.

Basically, I'm getting hung up on "Audience" as a confusing term. The target
underserved communities that would benefit from ICT are relatively clear,
but should we also state the target audience for the output of MW4D's
output/findings? Who is the overall framework/roadmap intended for (besides
members of the group)? The audience for this initiative seems to also
include W3C and non-W3C groups, other initiatives, as well as the
"providers". I've seen this discussed elsewhere in the wiki, but it seems
like a fundamental issue when stating the group's values/goals. So I'd
suggest a "focused population segment" (or something less wordy) of
"underserved communities" as you have stated in the pdf, and then a
separately stated target "audience" who are those that we are trying
to *directly
*reach out to.

Is this too nit-picky on semantics? I always want to make sure any goals
state who we're trying to talk *to*, not just what we're talking
*about**.*Anyways, looking forward to participating more,

-Joe Michiels
jmichiels@gmail.com
Graduate Student - Foster School of Business (UW)
Seattle, WA