Notation References and Addressability

Hi Raff,

While I see a clear relationship between this work and the use case in
question, I wonder if it's best not to get too involved in comparing the
merits of specific APIs at this point.

There could be many APIs that support addressability. Some might be web
services like yours; others might be DOM APIs that operate locally. What is
interesting is the nature of the "pointer" that is being dereferenced.

When I think of addressability and the Web, I tend to think in terms of
pointers (stable references from one document to another, for example the
#fragment notation used in HTML documents). There are many possible APIs
that can be used to dereference such pointers, but I think deciding the
nature and structure of a "pointer" is a bigger question than the API
mechanism. We can figure it out better once we understand all the things
people want to do with pointers.

*Joe Berkovitz*
President

*Noteflight LLC*
49R Day Street / Somerville, MA 02144 / USA
phone: +1 978 314 6271
www.noteflight.com
"Your music, everywhere"