Re: MicroXML is for hand | automated generation

On Jul 26, 2012, at 9:23 AM, Uche Ogbuji <uche@ogbuji.net> wrote:

> All the XML generation tools I've developed are complicated because of the many knobs required to cover XML.  MicroXML would simplify such code.

The only thing that I have found to be a major pain point for
generation is namespaces, but they are a pain throughout XML
processing. Most of the time the XML that various code I have written
generates would conform to MicroXML. (This, I remember now, is why my
drafts have allowed > in attribute values: so that exisiting XML
toolchains would usually generate MicroXML output if given MicroXML
input.) But perhaps your tools are fancier than mine.

> I see no reason why a goal cannot mention both, e.g.:
>
> MicroXML shall support the use of text editors for authoring, and shall also make automated generation of MicroXML simpler than XML.

I don't think it's helpful to combine these two goals: they have quite
different implications.

I am not sure that automated generation is something that MicroXML
will simplify any more than it simplifies XML processing generally.

James