Re: Checking what features could be 'at risk'

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:32:26 +0100, Davy Van Deursen
<davy.vandeursen@ugent.be> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> given [1], all the tests passes. However, as you indicate below, by lack
> of low-level access to the media resources some test cases are not
> supported in practice. Can you provide a list of these test cases (is
> the list below complete or are there also other test cases that must be
> marked as 'notImplemented')?

I'll let Thomas answer in detail, but given the current state of browser
implementations, I'd say the following cannot be supported via a polyfill:

* stopping at accurate end time in #t=start,end

* smpte and clock time formats

* track dimension

* id dimension.

Or, in short, what *can* be supported via a polyfill is:

* time dimension with start time in NPT format

* spatial dimension

As mentioned in the teleconf via IRC, I don't think it is acceptable to
count polyfills as implementations for state transition purposes. That is
not to say that they aren't useful, just that they aren't proof that a
feature is implementable in shipping software with all the extra issues
that come up there.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer