Re: Media Fragments Talk to the W3C Semantic Web Coordination Group

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 09:30:46 +1000
To: RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>
Cc: Media Fragment <public-media-fragment@w3.org>
2010/4/8 RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>:
> Dear all,
>
> I presented this afternoon the status of the specification of the working
> group to the Semantic Web Coordination Group. You can see my online slides
> at http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/talks/2010-04-07/
>
> The minutes of the meeting are also available at:
> http://www.w3.org/2010/04/07-swcg-minutes.html

BTW: my demo doesn't work in Safari cause Safari doesn't support Ogg
out of the box. Tell ivan to install XiphQT and it will work.

> Note that the participants point us towards the Connected Media Experiences
> consortium, http://connectedmediaexperience.org/technicaloverview.html
> (apparently, a huge consortium coming from the audio/musical industry) that
> are watching us and would be interesting to talk to both the Media Fragment
> and the Media Annotations WG. Manu Sporny is putting us in touch. I will
> keep you posted.

Sounds to me like MPEG-21 all over again, except done with RDFa -
which might indeed be the better approach. I wonder why that couldn't
have been done from within W3C and why a new standards body with extra
membership fees had to be invented. Do you know who's a member yet and
who's driving it?