Re: Media Fragments Talk to the W3C Semantic Web Coordination Group

From: Daniel Park <soohongp@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 10:27:55 +0900
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Cc: RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>, Media Fragment <public-media-fragment@w3.org>
2010/4/8 Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>

> 2010/4/8 RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I presented this afternoon the status of the specification of the working
> > group to the Semantic Web Coordination Group. You can see my online
> slides
> > at http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/talks/2010-04-07/
> >
> > The minutes of the meeting are also available at:
> > http://www.w3.org/2010/04/07-swcg-minutes.html
>
> BTW: my demo doesn't work in Safari cause Safari doesn't support Ogg
> out of the box. Tell ivan to install XiphQT and it will work.
>

> > Note that the participants point us towards the Connected Media
> Experiences
> > consortium, http://connectedmediaexperience.org/technicaloverview.html
> > (apparently, a huge consortium coming from the audio/musical industry)
> that
> > are watching us and would be interesting to talk to both the Media
> Fragment
> > and the Media Annotations WG. Manu Sporny is putting us in touch. I will
> > keep you posted.
>
> Sounds to me like MPEG-21 all over again, except done with RDFa -
> which might indeed be the better approach. I wonder why that couldn't
> have been done from within W3C and why a new standards body with extra
> membership fees had to be invented. Do you know who's a member yet and
> who's driving it?
>
> Cheers,
> Silvia.

I am not driving it...It's sort of Gracenote/AMG/Rovi server basis solutions
to provide unified and purified metadata information they called it as a new
user experiences in devices particularly mobile side to end user devices.
So, it's not public standard body, instead it's just commercial alliance in
their own IPR agreement. Therefore, I am not sure how to make a good bridge
between us, CMX and MF/MA.

Frankly, they are contacting me (Samsung) for the membership...If I get
further information, I will be able to share with you all.

Daniel

--
Soohong Daniel Park
Samsung Electronics, DMC R&D