Re: video aspect use case

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 14:17:20 +0200, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org> wrote:

> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/WD-media-fragments-reqs/#scenario5.8
> [[
> Silvia's television is brand new and with a display in 16:9, however she
> has video on her media server that are in 3:2 format. To avoid paying a
> premium in network fees, she would like the television to request only
> what can be displayed to avoid wasting bandwidth.
> ]]

It appears it's not well defined what aspect ratio is supposed to mean
here. Assuming that we are using URI fragments and not query strings, the
4:3 in video.ogg#aspect=4:3 isn't communicated to the server. I've only
been able to understand it as forcing the aspect ratio of the resource,
rather than somehow modifying the resource (i.e. the exact same bytes
should be sent). The only use case I can see is fixing aspect ratio of
broken files, which I really think could just as well be done in HTML/CSS,
SVG, etc.

Using it to negotiate byte-different resources with the server is
something else completely, and would require new HTTP headers. It doesn't
seem to be worth spending time specifying in my opinion.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer