Re: video aspect use case

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 17:09:17 +0200
To: Philip Jšgenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
CC: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, public-media-fragment@w3.org
<disclaimer>
  I'm not a big fan of this use case and don't necessarily want to
defend it ... but:
</disclaimer>

> It appears it's not well defined what aspect ratio is supposed to mean
> here. Assuming that we are using URI fragments and not query strings,
> the 4:3 in video.ogg#aspect=4:3 isn't communicated to the server.

The whole idea is to communicate to the server that the UA wants the 4:3
fragment of 'video.ogg' using a Range request.

 > I've
> only been able to understand it as forcing the aspect ratio of the
> resource, rather than somehow modifying the resource (i.e. the exact
> same bytes should be sent).

Well, not exactly. Converting formats of unequal ratios is done by
either cropping the original image to the receiving format's aspect
ratio (zooming), by adding horizontal mattes (letterboxing) or vertical
mattes (pillarboxing) to retain the original format's aspect ratio, or
by distorting the image to fill the receiving format's ratio. Depending
on the strategy, if done on server side, the server will not serve the
exact same bytes ... and possibly save some bandwidth (needs to be
measured though!)

> Using it to negotiate byte-different resources with the server is
> something else completely, and would require new HTTP headers. It
> doesn't seem to be worth spending time specifying in my opinion.

That might be very well the case :-)
Cheers.