Re: AW: Properties for media fragment?

Hi all,

Ok, let's drop the video-book comparison, which indeed is not perfect.

My problem is not about time vs. interval, but rather about the non
trivial propagation of properties on sub-intervals. More formally:

let I and I' be 2 intervals, such that I' is included in I
assume that property P has value V on I,
what can we tell about property P on  I'?

my answer would be: in the general case, nothing. I suspect it strongly
depends on the semantics of property P, and may be what you need its
value for. The example I have in mind is the "right to quote" (not sure
about the translation): in France (probably elsewhere as well), you are
allowed to quote a part of a protected work without requiring the
author's consent if the part is short enough (roughly). So the copyright
on I (or at least some of its implications) may not apply on I'.

This is just an example, it might not be perfect either, but this
captures my doubts about asking questions like the one proposed by David.

I would rather stick to asking questions about and identified resource R
(whole or fragment), *but* having a mean to warn the user that several
values may apply on several part (also identified resources) of R. This
is the work of the user / the application to figure out which ones of
these values are relevant to them.

  pa