Re: Results of Questionnaire Survey vs. iTunes and QT

Jean-Pierre makes an important point in his mail, which is the
popularity of a format measured according to its frequency of use in
real world scenarios.

I guess he has a very good knowledge about video metadata formats
currently used and has the needed insights to know about how these
standards are really used. So I fully trust and agree to his statements
about video formats.

Personnaly I voted for formats which are prominently used also for still
images based on their (my subjective) perceived popularity. However I do
not have real numbers in front of me that proof this perceived
popularity. I fully agree that the real usage of the formats should be
another decision criteria for choosing the ones we work on. So has
anyone got real numbers about the use of the different fornats? If not:
how can we get them?

This brings me to another point: Jean-Pierre argues in favor of metadata
formats for video. I guess we should not forgot about the ones focusing
on images (e.g. EXIF, DIG35) or audio (e.g. ID3, QT, iTunes) in which
some participants have a strong interest in. At least unless we do not
discard media types from the scope of our work.

Another point I agree on that METS should be one of the first formats to
discard. METS is a container format and most notably makes use of other
formats to describe technical, descriptive or administrative metadata.
So METS as such does not provide much to map to :-)

Best regards,

Tobias

Dipl.-Inf. Univ. Tobias Bürger

STI Innsbruck