Re: Some thoughts on use cases

From: Raphaël Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:49:16 +0200
To: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
CC: "Bailer, Werner" <werner.bailer@joanneum.at>, public-media-annotation@w3.org

Dear all,

>> - "Multi media and semantic web technologies" [issue 6069]: I think that
>> came out of Tobias' introductory mail and describes quite well what this
>> group is supposed to be dealing with, but I think it is too unspecific
>> to be a use case
> agree. Probably we should drop this?

>> - "multimedia adaptation" [issue 6084]: in their mail Erik and Davy
>> mentioned "region of interest selection" under this heading, which I
>> consider an interesting aspect (one could maybe label it summarisation
>> or highlight extraction). This could be related to the representation of
>> search results (e.g. summaries showing aspects of videos relevant to the
>> query) and to the exploration of audiovisual archives.
> This seems a good way to build a bridge between media annotation and
> media fragments. But I am not sure if we should classify this as
> something to tackle later, after the first version of the ontology, and
> the first version of media fragments. What do people think?

Indeed, it seems to be one possible bridge between the two WGs. There
are, however, two aspects: the identification of a ROI and the
description of the ROI. The former is dealt with the Media Fragment WG
while the second falls within the scope of the Media Annotation WG.

Raphaël Troncy
Tel: +31 (0)20 - 592 4093
Fax: +31 (0)20 - 592 4312
Web: http://www.cwi.nl/~troncy/