Re: Some thoughts on use cases

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:29:24 +0900
To: "Bailer, Werner" <werner.bailer@joanneum.at>
CC: public-media-annotation@w3.org

Hi Werner,

Bailer, Werner さんは書きました:
> Dear all,
> I've had a look at the list of proposed use cases in the issue tracker
> and here are some thoughts:
> - "Video on IPTV" [issue 6065]: I'm not sure what the specifics of video
> on IPTV are, and why this might be different from a metadata perspective
> than delivering video + metadata by other means

probably it makes sense to merge "Video on IPTV" with "Services by using
an unified media annotation" (6064).

> - "Covering variations across locales" [issue 6066] is rather a
> requirement than a use case on its own

true, I changed that.

> - "Multi media and semantic web technologies" [issue 6069]: I think that
> came out of Tobias' introductory mail and describes quite well what this
> group is supposed to be dealing with, but I think it is too unspecific
> to be a use case

agree. Probably we should drop this?

> - "Metadata to help promoting safe environments" [issue 6068] could this
> be a specific aspect of an adaptation use case?

Agree. I added that info to issue 6084.

> - "Audiovisual archive as a Cultural Heritage institution" [issue 6067]:
> this is a very interesting and rich use case, that includes search
> [6083], maybe adaptation [6084] and very likely metadata
> interoperability issues (related to [6080], but going beyond tagging)

I agree that this is a very rich use case, but maybe too broad. What do
others think?

> - I believe the "semantic media analysis" [issue 6081] use case of the
> MMSem XG comes from analysis for retrieval and is thus related to [6083]

Agree. We could close 6081.

> - "algorithm representation" [issue 6082]: I think that this the one of
> the MMSem XG use cases that goes beyond our scope

> - "multimedia adaptation" [issue 6084]: in their mail Erik and Davy
> mentioned "region of interest selection" under this heading, which I
> consider an interesting aspect (one could maybe label it summarisation
> or highlight extraction). This could be related to the representation of
> search results (e.g. summaries showing aspects of videos relevant to the
> query) and to the exploration of audiovisual archives.

This seems a good way to build a bridge between media annotation and
media fragments. But I am not sure if we should classify this as
something to tackle later, after the first version of the ontology, and
the first version of media fragments. What do people think?