Re: Our requirements / use case document

Dear Felix, all,

> "Requirements / use case" documents in W3C are very heterogenous:
>
> a) very short "requirements" documents like
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/CR-xquery-update-10-requirements-20080314/
> they contain basically a list of requirements, without detailed
> discussion, and with pointers to other documents which provide the
> background
> b) very long "requirements" documents like
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-widgets-reqs-20080625/
> which contain rationale and background explanations. The MMSEM XG work
> belongs into that category I think.

I would like to mention another example, most likely in the middle
between a) and b), which is the SKOS use cases and requirements
document, http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-ucr/

The whole process for making this document is also interesting and could
be a source of inspiration for this group. The SWD WG has gathered these
requirements using mainly the wiki, see
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/UCRMaterial for the history of
changes. Basically, a template for UC has been agreed on, and then, the
WG found easier to harmonize all the use cases. The whole community has
been consulted, i.e., non WG members have also provided feedback and new
use cases using the wiki facility and the public mailing list.

   Raphaël

--
Raphaël Troncy
Tel: +31 (0)20 - 592 4093