 Subject: Re: [ESWC 2015] First Call for Paper
 To: "Kingsley Idehen" <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
 Date: Wednesday, October 1, 2014, 12:10 PM

 What about EPUB, which is
 xHTML and has support for Schema.org markup? It
 also provides for fixed-layout.

 On 10/1/14, 12:55 PM, "Kingsley
 Idehen" <kidehen@openlinksw.com>

 2014-10-01 18:12, Fabien Gandon wrote:
 >>> Dear Saven,
 >>
 >> Thank your
 for your response Fabien.

 >>> The scientific articles are
 presenting scientific achievements in a
 >>> format that is suitable for human
 consumption.
 >>> Documents in a
 portable format remain the best way to do that for a
 >>> conference today.
 >>
 >> I acknowledge
 the current state of matters for sharing scientific
 >> knowledge. However, the concern was
 whether ESWC was willing to
 >> promote
 Web native technologies for sharing knowledge, as opposed
 >> solely insisting on Adobe's
 PDF, a desktop native technology.

 >> If my memory
 serves me correctly, the Web "took off" not
 because of
 >> PDF, but due to plain
 old simple HTML. You know just as well that HTML
 >> was intended for scientific knowledge
 sharing at large scale, for
 >> human
 as well as machine consumption.

 >>> However:
 >>> - all the metadata of the
 conference are published as linked data e.g.
 >>> http://data.semanticweb.org/conference/eswc/2014/html
 >>
 >> This is
 great. But, don't you think that we can and ought to do
 better
 >> than just metadata?
 >>
 >>> - authors
 are encouraged to publish, the datasets and algorithms
 they
 >>> use in their research on
 the Web following its standards.

 >> I think we all know too well that this
 is something left as optional
 >> that
 very few follow-up. There is no reproducibility
 "police" in SW/LD
 >> venues.
 Simply put, we can't honestly reproduce the research
 because
 >> all of the important atomic
 components that are discussed in the
 >> papers e.g., from hypothesis,
 variables, to conclusions, are not

 precisely identified or easily discoverable. Most of the
 time, one has
 >> to hunt down the
 authors for that information. IMHO, this severely
 >> limits scientific progress on Web
 Science.

 Will you compromise on the submission such that the
 submissions can be
 >> in PDF and/or in
 HTML(+RDFa)?

 >+1
 >
 >We need to get over
 this hurdle. We can't expect to be taken seriously
 >if we don't wire what we espouse into
 the fabric of our existence.