Re: Final CFP: In-Use Track ISWC 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Sarven Capadisli <info@csarven.ca> wrote:

> On 05/02/2013 08:12 AM, Paul Groth wrote:
>
>> As you know, the community produces the semantic web dogfood site
>> that contains Linked Data about the papers published by the
>> community's conferences and workshops. This refers to that.
>>

> Thanks.
>

>  I thought my response and Carsten's  addressed your email with
>> respect to LISC. There was also a very long thread appearing
>> afterwards talking about the various aspects to this around
>> publication formats. I think you have to acknowledge that there are
>> disagreements with your position with respect to technology for
>> publication.
>>

> The disagreements that you speak of are completely off topic.
>
> The core of the discussion is to have plain old simple HTML welcomed.
> Maybe I've miscommunicated that at some point. It is really not a debate
> around whether to use HTML5 or XHTML or whichever accompanying semantic
> representations for the data, and being a show-stopper. It is pretty much a
> matter of fact that there is a difference of opinion on that, and it is not
> going to be resolved in the near future. Trying to resolve that is not the
> best use of our time. Those that want to go for it, no one is stopping them.

Please read more careful from conference chairs like myself and Daniel
Schwabe why experiments including even "plain old" HTML have failed so far
unfortunately. Namely, broken links to images, lack of convertibility to
PDF needed for book printing, etc.

What I do (see for example, my thesis [1]) is publish HTML versions of
paper on my website when I have the time. However, the main problem even
with self-publishing HTML of academic papers is that tex2html, which is
necessary for the conversion (I don't use Word) seems not to have been
updated since like 1996 :)

The  burden of making a working toolchain I think falls on those who want
it. I'd like it, but not enough to devote the time to work on it as my time
is already overbooked.

   cheers,
      harry

[1]http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin/thesis