Re: Thought: 207 Description Follows

On Wednesday 28. March 2012 14.37.42 Jeni Tennison wrote:
> I don't think it's web hosters who would find it hard to deploy, rather that
> people who just want to publish some data on some tiny patch of web space
> that they "own", often actually run by outsourced IT departments, do not
> typically have access to either the software running on the servers (to
> upgrade it) or to the configuration files that would enable them to change
> status codes (or add headers for that matter).

Oh, we're talking about the same people! Web hosters, may be companies that
offer web hosting, typically on rather constrained environments, or IT
departments, again with the type of constraints you mention. This software
isn't static, it is usually upgraded in a cycle of 3-4 years, so in those
years, we can get our code in there.

So, the key here is to understand how our software gets into those servers, so
it is there to begin with. So that there is no strange tweaking of config files,
no user-supplied packages. How can we make thousands of such companies
advertise that they host linked data, like they advertise that you can use
MySQL, memcached, or nginx. *That's* what we have to do.

Kjetil