Re: See Other

On 3/28/12 9:24 AM, David Wood wrote:
>> >  [data stick changes hands]
>> >
>> >  Alice: Cool! And .. yup it's wellformed XML, and here see I parsed it
>> >  with a real RDF parser (made by Dave Beckett who worked on the last
>> >  W3C spec for this stuff, beats me actually checking it myself) and it
>> >  didn't complain. So looks fine! Ok so we'll need to chunk this up
>> >  somehow so there's one little record per term from your thesaurus, and
>> >  links between them... ...and it's generally good to make human facing
>> >  pages as well as machine-oriented RDF ones too.
> Bob and Alice can stop at this point, throw the RDF/XML at Callimachus, write some templates in XHTML/RDFa and be done.  They would get themeable human-oriented HTML, conneg for RDF/XML and Turtle, one URI per term, REST API CRUD, management with user accounts...
>
> Regards,
> Dave

But nobody want's the Web to depend on any particular toolset or
framework. Of course, we do want a massive number of tools that focus on
productive exploitation of Linked Data. In a sense, this is one of those
points of confusion especially for those trying to address the shortage
of productivity tools.

The base exploitation pattern has to be simple and subjectively manual
(not of the form in Gio's comments). Again, here is what the most basic
pattern (just for bootstrap sake) would look like:

1. Something piques your interest to the point where you want to talk
about it publicly or within a group (enterprise, dept, peer group,
family, friends etc..)

2. You create a file -- the act results in a file name

3. You give your description subject a Name

4. You start to create content (in structured form using your preferred
syntax) in your file that describes your description subject via
attribute=value pairs that coalesce around your description subject's
name  i.e., a 3-tuple (triples) based graph pictorial

5. Publish your description bearing file to your target network (which
could be the World Wide Web) -- at this point the file has become a
network resource.

Even if you don't have any URIs in your 3-tuples (triples), you will
realize something powerful taking shape. Then you tweak:

1. Change the subject Name to a # (in relative URI form so it simply
straddles the description file)
2. Publish
3. Realize the effect, the repeat the use of URIs for attributes, and
values (where typed literals are sub-optimal).

*Note*: this isn't a lecture since I know you understand most of this.
Its more of a decomposition exercise that attempts to emphasize how
users can start with a very basic pattern (somewhat manual) en route to
productivity oriented tools that ultimately enable them achieve more
with diminishing time costs.

The biggest problem I see with Linked Data today is a tendency for folks
to slap subjective edge cases at its front door and in the process
compromise a really deft piece of "deceptively simple" technology, by
trying to make it "simply simple" which always introduces complexity and
bootstrap inertia, eventually.

We sometimes don't realize that many of these edge case adventures
simply make the whole Linked Data meme and its associated best practices
FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) friendly.

Web 2.0 has stalled (whether it knows it or not) because it is
fundamentally "simply simple" and I say this because it can deal with:

1. Verifiable identity.
2. Web scale ACLs.
3. Web scale data access across data spaces that remain data silos.
4. And more...

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com