W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-lod@w3.org > July 2012

Re: Simple Linked Data Publishing For Non Programmers

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 18:43:47 -0400
Message-ID: <501076A3.7090205@openlinksw.com>
To: public-lod@w3.org
On 7/25/12 6:20 PM, Adrian Walker wrote:
> Hi Kingsley, Michael & All,
>
> There is of course the 10-90 rule for taking things from early 
> prototypes to industrial strength systems.  (You get 90% of the way 
> with 10% of the effort, but the rest takes 90% of the effort.)
>
> Looking to the industrial future, there's another concern about 
> SPARQL.  When a complex query is running, it may need to pull data 
> from many endpoints.  If one of these is down or busy, the query fails.
>
> Is there perhaps some work already on automatic local caching, or on 
> seamless access to replicated endpoints ?

Yes, but that's another topic for a different debate since SPARQL isn't 
mandatory for Linked Data Publishing. Its just a *very* powerful 
declarative query language for exploiting Webby Linked Data :-)

Kingsley
>
>                                     Thanks,                -- Adrian
>
> Internet Business Logic
> A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English Q/A 
> over SQL and RDF
> Online at www.reengineeringllc.com <http://www.reengineeringllc.com>
> Shared use is free, and there are no advertisements
>
> Adrian Walker
> Reengineering
>
>
>
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Michael Brunnbauer 
> <brunni@netestate.de <mailto:brunni@netestate.de>> wrote:
>
>
>     Hello Kingsley,
>
>     On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 01:31:32PM -0400, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>     > One of the fundamental misconceptions about Linked Data is the
>     > assumption that Web-scale publication is a complex process, utterly
>     > beyond the capabilities of end-users that are already capable of
>     > creating, editing, and saving a document to a local or network
>     drive.
>     >
>     > I've written a detailed post [1] showcasing how anyone can publish
>     > Linked Data via a Turtle document ...
>
>     I showed your post to my wife - who has been working in online
>     publishing for
>     more than 10 years. She has worked with many web content
>     management systems
>     and is able to read and write HTML markup.
>
>     Like I expected, she lost you in the second paragraph. Maybe she
>     would be able
>     to learn linked data like she learned HTML - the hard way. But it
>     would in
>     fact be much harder because this time, she would have no reason to
>     learn it
>     and no tool to try out changes and see immediate *results*.
>
>     Giovanni Tummarello recently summarized it all very good recently:
>
>     http://www.mail-archive.com/public-lod@w3.org/msg11194.html
>
>     We have to be honest with ourselves about this technology. Whose
>     problems does
>     it solve ? Who can understand it ? Are the tools usable in
>     practise ? My
>     answers to these questions are not optimistic.
>
>     I understand that all these answers can change with time and some
>     day we may
>     have the bright future you are seeing. But I would not take that
>     for granted.
>     There is much work to do.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Michael Brunnbauer
>
>     --
>     ++  Michael Brunnbauer
>     ++  netEstate GmbH
>     ++  Geisenhausener Straße 11a
>     ++  81379 München
>     ++  Tel +49 89 32 19 77 80 <tel:%2B49%2089%2032%2019%2077%2080>
>     ++  Fax +49 89 32 19 77 89 <tel:%2B49%2089%2032%2019%2077%2089>
>     ++  E-Mail brunni@netestate.de <mailto:brunni@netestate.de>
>     ++ http://www.netestate.de/
>     ++
>     ++  Sitz: München, HRB Nr.142452 (Handelsregister B München)
>     ++  USt-IdNr. DE221033342
>     ++  Geschäftsführer: Michael Brunnbauer, Franz Brunnbauer
>     ++  Prokurist: Dipl. Kfm. (Univ.) Markus Hendel
>
>


-- 

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen	
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Personal Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen
Google+ Profile: https://plus.google.com/112399767740508618350/about
LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/kidehen







Received on Wednesday, 25 July 2012 22:43:16 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Sunday, 31 March 2013 14:24:41 UTC