Re: Simple Linked Data Publishing For Non Programmers

On 7/25/12 6:41 PM, Yury Katkov wrote:
> Hello Kingsley!
>
> I have read your post and I think it's great initiative. Some
> improvements that I can suggest:
> * the topic of an example is not good. Why do I want to describe
> myself in yet another language? I have several dozens of profiles in
> social networks already.

Yes, but the issue is this: those profile aren't associated with
fine-grained structured data sources. Put differently, you've described
yourself in Word documents that are Web accessible. The goal of Linked
Data is to make the structured content in the Word docs (so to speak)
more accessible via a resource that has the characteristics of a
3-column spreadsheet where every cell is named using a hyperlink, and
each of the 3-columns in the spreadsheet has a specific role with
regards to content:

Cell #1 - Description Subject Name (a hyperlink)
Cell #2 - Attribute/Predicate Name (a hyperlink)
Cell #3 - Typed Literal or Name (a hyperlink).

> Every time I tried using foaf example I watched the puzzlement on my
> listeners' faces.

Yes, notice I said nothing about FOAF bar use of namespaces in my
hyperlinks.

> Better example is something related with government data or in the
> last resort something from Dbpedia.

There is no golden example for an inherently diverse community. All one
can do is accumulate a collection of examples that broaden the range of
targets etc..  That said, I am happy to evolve the collection of
examples since the process costs me very little time.

> * I prefer moving from the very tiny examples to the bigger ones.

Yes, I think my opening example was a little too verbose.

> This example is way too big for the first one.

Yes, as per comment above.

> I think it would be better to construct it step by step.
> * don't use prefixes at the beginning. Prefixes are hard: all these
> triangular brackets pops up and dissapear again, the colon sign is
Ah! As per my response to the G+ post, there is a specific reason why I
am using Turtle. Remember, my thesis is fundamentally about the ability
to deploy 5 star Linked Data without the problems associated with:

1. domain ownership
2. web server administrative control
3. explicit content negotiation
4. any other matter that opens up the httpRange-14 can or worms.

Basically, that having an account with one of the following services is
all you need to publish Linked Data:

1. Amazon S3
2. DropBox
3. Google Drive -- but you have to mount these folders using something
like our ODS-Briefcase (aka. ODrive) since Google Drive only recognizes
HTML and image formats.
4. Microsoft SkyDrive -- ditto
5. Box.net -- ditto .

> a bit confusing. In the first example it's easier to just show full URIs.

Yes, and in the past I would have started with N-Triples too. But here's
the problem, it doesn't support relative URIs and other bits of clever
syntax sugar in Turtle. Thus, you can't successfully publish Linked Data
in the manner I espouse using N-Triples. In addition, the use prefixes
can be explained and easily appreciated especially when users really
understand how much can be achieved with the 2-5 GB of free storage
offered by these services.

Like many things in the realm, the power of Turtle hasn't been explained
to most. Also, and sadly so, Turtle's journey to recommendation status
took way too long leaving RDF/XML deficiencies to obscuring all paths to
Linked Data comprehension and appreciation.

> * some more time is needed to explain <> thing

Not really, we are publishing structured content via a document. The <>
denotes the document at content construction time while expanding to an
actual deployment URL post publication.

> * I don't think that you should mention WebID, but I really don't know
> if it's in common usage now. Probably not.

I commented it out because, what comes next is an end to end WebID
demonstration showing how placing your public key in such a document is
all you need to get going with Web-scale verifiable identity driven by
Linked Data.

> * Pictures may be helpful. Here are the pictures that I draw for my
> tutorials (warning! It's Russian!) [1]

Well I have quite a few Russian team members.

> * The overall look of the last part of the manual reminds me the Open
> Link Software manuals. I'd rather get rid of all services except one
> or two of the most popular: probably just Dropbox.

Remember, there are no silver bullets. I don't do specificity as I
firmly believe in choice. I am not writing these guides to promote one
service over another so singly out DropBox is a comprise of my basic
instincts etc..

> What do you think about moving this manual to semanticweb.org
> <http://semanticweb.org> wiki?

Nothing, you fork the thing, that's the way of the Web :-)

> It would be easier to improve it that way.
Please proceed. The more the merrier.

> [1]
> http://linkeddata.ru/index.php/Пример_последовательного_построения_SPARQL-запроса
> <http://linkeddata.ru/index.php/%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%B5%D1%80_%D0%BF%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%BE_%D0%BF%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%82%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%8F_SPARQL-%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%BF%D1%80%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%B0>
> -----
> Yury Katkov

Thanks!

Kingsley